Are you wondering about how to create a website?
If yes, with this simple step-by-step guide for beginner bloggers to business owners – you can make a website with easy!
I wrote this FREE and EASY step-by-step guide to help anyone – from new bloggers to small-business owners and brands – make their own websites without having to learn to code, or hire a web designer and developer.
This easy and simple guide will definitely help you build your new website, just by doing it yourself – so easily!
Why you Need this FREE website setup, step-by-step guide:
Here’s why you’ll need this FREE website setup, step-by-step guide – for anyone need to create a website with EASY.
I’ve made this guide For BEGINNERS!
The guide is very detailed, but pretty much easy to follow and understand – even if you are not a very technical hand.
The guide is ‘Up-to-Date’ and complete!
Other website building guides and tutorials may be outdated or misleading. But, i update this guide on regular basis.
The guide is platform specific (WordPress)
WordPress ensures, your website will be set-up in the right way on the right platform to meet all your needs.
If you face any problem, you can ask help!
I would be more than happy to get you answers to your questions and clear up any doubts you might have.
3 Quick Steps in the Website Building Guide
You’ll be able to learn how to…
Choose a website building platform
Choose your website address (www.)
Set up & customize your website
Just follow the steps given below to get started with making your own website by yourself – without need to learn to code.
STEP 1: CHOOSE THE RIGHT PLATFORM
If you want to quickly build a good, mobile-friendly and fully responsive website, you will need to choose a platform (also known as a Content Management System).
What does “Content Management System” mean?
A content management system (or website building platform) is a user-friendly platform for building websites and managing your own online content instead of using a lot of HTML pages.
Before the content management system (or CMS), most websites were built using HTML, CSS, and Flash. Those were tricky, and took a lot of time to learn and master.
That’s why people still think it’s really difficult to create website from scratch, or it requires a lot of coding and designing skills. But that’s not true anymore!
Today, a content management system like WordPress has made it really very simple and accessible to anyone to wonderfully create website from a scratch.
In short, a content management system is an application that enables you to create and manage the content of your own website – easily!
The World’s Most Popular Website Building Platforms
As per recent statistics by Wappalyzer, WordPress is market leader, the most popular content management system (77%), followed by Joomla (7%), and Drupal (5%).
Market Leaders in Content Management System
Here’s why using WordPress is most recommend to build your website.
WordPress Vs. HTML (Code) and CSS: It takes more than 6 months to learn HTML, CSS, and PHP from scratch. Mastering the basics of HTML can help you in a long way, but if you want to create a website with easy, learning HTML is not a good option.
WordPress Vs. Website Builders: Website builders are great, but they are quite expensive and often very limited with features. They could be helpful for single-page websites, but not more that!
WordPress Vs. Joomla Vs. Drupal: Joomla is similar to WordPress and works great for online e-commerce stores, but you need at least some technical coding skill to make it work the way you want. While, Drupal is a powerful platform, popular among web developers and experienced coders, that makes it a bad choice for beginners.
For beginners, sticking with WordPress is highly recommend.
You must know WordPress is the most easiest platform you’ll ever find, because it is flexible enough for everyone from a blogger, to a freelancer, to a creative artist, and a small business owner, etc.
Things you should do before the next step
Before going to next step, choose a platform to build your website. That’s why sticking to WordPress is highly recommended, as it is free and easy to understand. In this guide, you’ll see how it is easy to create website using WordPress.
You don’t need to download or install anything, at this point. You’ll see everything about creating a website in next steps.
STEP 2: GET A DOMAIN NAME & WEB HOSTING
Before setting up your WordPress site (or any other type of website), you are required to have two things:
- A Domain Name (a web address like yourwebsitename.com).
- A Web Hosting Service (that connects your website to the Internet).
You know, WordPress website building platform is free. However, the domain name and web hosting service will cost you around $3 to $5 a month, which is less than a cup of coffee.
Getting a domain name looks far more professional than creating your website on someone else’s domain (like yourbrand.freewebsites.com), and it’s quite affordable to have your own domain.
Having a web hosting will always make sure your website loads quickly, and won’t let your site face an issue of downtime for hours (which is very important for people who visits your web pages).
Where can You get a FREE Domain Name and Web Hosting Service
Most of the web developers, bloggers, and small-businesses use www.Bluehost.com as a web hosting service and domain name registrar.
They are widely recommended, because they have really affordable service with good customer support, and they are currently offering domain names for free – so it’s worth trying them out.
When you get your domain name, you will also have a personal email account (firstname.lastname@example.org) which is by-far more professional than a popular Yahoo, Gmail, or MSN email address.
And, if you already got a domain name and hosting service! Moving on to step 3, you will be explained how to set up your own website using your existing domain name.
STEP 1: Go to Bluehost.com
Since, I’ve been using Bluehost for many of my websites, I’ve managed to offer a special discount for all my visitors, to get them 50% OFF on their website hosting.
STEP 2: Choose a Website Hosting Plan
After clicking “Get Started Now”, you will be taken to a page where you will need to choose a website hosting plan of your choice.
I would recommend to choose their “basic” plan, which is a great option for a new website. In addition, they are currently running a special discount of $3.95/month (usually $7.99/month)
Their “plus” and “prime” hosting plans are great, but unless millions of people flock to your site every day, you don’t need all the extras they provide.
The “basic” plan will help you save your money and choose the cheapest package to start with your own website.
STEP 3: Choose a Domain Name
As a simple starting point:
- If you create a website for your company, your domain name should match your company name. For example: YourCompanyName.com
- If you are planning to create a website for yourself, then YourName.com may be a good choice.
For this website (TechGlamour), I picked TechGlamour.com
A domain name usually ends with .com, .org, .net, or .info, but in recent months, a large number of domain extensions (the end of the URL, such as .com) have appeared, from .blog, to. store, or .agency, etc.
My best Suggestion? You can avoid using weird extensions and use .com, .net, or .org unless they perfectly describe what you have got to offer – even so, see if you can find more common names.
And, if you already have a domain name, just enter the domain name and click “Next” in the “I have a domain name” option.
If you are not ready to choose your domain now, you can do so in future when you start your website setup.
STEP 4: Fill in Your Details
To create an account, you will simply have to enter your personal information on the Create Account page.
You can also use your Google single sign-on option to make creating your account even easier.
You will need to add your first name, last name, country, street address, city, zip code, phone number and email address. So, your receipt will be sent to the email address you enter here.
You can also add an optional business name to this form. And, enter your payment information to continue.
STEP 5: Choose your “Package Information” and “Package Extras” and Finish Registration
The next step in registering your Bluehost account is to choose your plan and package.
This is the last step you’ll go through before creating an account, so keep an eye on the additional options available, such as SiteLock Security – Find, and Bluehost SEO Tools Start, etc.
- SiteLock Security – Find adds only 1.99 cents a month and automatically scans your website for malware to ensure they are not being blocked or spammed.
- If you want to increase your rankings on the major search engines like Google, you can add for $1.99/ month. If you don’t, be sure to uncheck this box out.
STEP 6: Create a Password for Your Account
After the payment and registration made, you will need to create a password for your account by clicking on “Create your password” option.
THINGS TO DO BEFORE THE NEXT STEP:
Do some brainstorming and come up with a unique domain name that reflects your future website, blog or business.
STEP 3: SET UP & CUSTOMIZE YOUR WEBSITE
Once you have purchased your domain name and set up a web hosting service, you can do customisation of your website with easy!
This is the right time to get your website up and running. The first thing you’ll need to do is to install WordPress onto your domain.
There are two possible ways to install WordPress platform, one is easier than the other.
1. CREATE A WEBSITE (WORDPRESS), USING AUTOMATIC ONE-CLICK INSTALLATION:
Almost all reliable and well-established web hosting companies have integrated one-click installation capabilities for WordPress, making it a breeze.
If you are using Bluehost or any other similar hosting service, you should find “One Click Install” in your “Account Control Panel” of your hosting.
Here are the steps you should follow (in all major web hosting companies it should be similar/ same):
- Log in to your hosting account.
- Go to your hosting control panel.
- Look for the “WordPress” or “Website” icon.
- Select the domain where you want to install the website.
- Click on the “Install Now” button and you will be able to access the new WordPress powered website.
And, if your hosting don’t have 1-click-installation, maybe you’re dealing with a bad web hosting service!
2. … OR INSTALL MANUALLY (IF NEEDED)
If for some strange reason (some hosting companies don’t provide a quick one-click installation for WordPress), and you don’t find the option to automatically install WordPress, or Joomla & Drupal, check out the manual guide below:
1. Download your copy of WordPress from here: https://wordpress.org/download
2. Create a new folder on the desktop and unzip downloaded WordPress in it!
3. Find the file named wp-config-sample.php and rename it to: wp-config.php
Now open wp-config.php, using Notepad and fill in the following line:
- Define(‘DB_NAME’,’database_name_here’); – Database name (if you don’t know, please ask from your web hosting support).
- Define(‘DB_USER’,’username_here’); – your hosting username.
- Define(‘DB_PASSWORD’,’password_here’); – Your hosting password.
After filling in the blanks, save the file.
5. Log in to your managed ftp now (download FileZilla). The FTP address is usually ftp.yourdomainname.com, and the username and password are the same as the username and password you used to register your hosting.
6. If there is any file named “index” – delete it. After that, upload all the files in the WordPress folder to the FTP server. You can also use the “drag and drop” feature in FileZilla to upload.
7. After completing the above steps, please go to the following URL: yourdomainname.com/wp-admin/install.php
This is the page you would see:
Just fill out the form and you are ready to go!
Choose a Theme/ Template for your website
After successfully installing WordPress onto your domain, you will see a very basic but clean website:
But you don’t want your website to look like everyone else, are you?
That’s why you might need a theme – a premium designed template that tells WordPress how your website should look. See the sample version given below:
Here is where it gets more interesting: there are thousands of beautiful, professionally designed themes/ templates where you can choose and customize your own sitting position.
Here’s how to find the theme you like:
To find the theme you like to be installed on your newly created website, just follow the steps:
1. Log in to your WordPress Dashboard
If you are not sure how-to, just enter: https://yourwebsite.com/wp-admin (replace “yourwebsite” with your domain name).
This is what your WordPress dashboard should look like:
Everything is easy to label til here. If you feel a little overwhelmed, please don’t panic – I will show you where to go next from here.
2. How to access free WordPress themes
After you login and get inside the dashboard, you can access thousands of free WordPress themes! Simply search for “Appearance” in the sidebar and click on “Themes”.
I even compiled a list of the world’s top most popular free WordPress themes out there in the themes library.
If you want something more professional or more elegant than what you find over here, you can go to ThemeForest.net, where you have a huge library of premium themes that can be chosen at different costs.
But before you do so, I really recommend that you to at-least try to spend some time browsing those free themes. Many of them are actually professional and well-designed; so don’t ignore them off!
As you can already see above, installing a new WordPress theme for your website is so simple and easy.
You can search for specific keywords and/ or use filters to find specific theme that fit your style and need. Finding the perfect theme can take a while, but it’s worth it.
You should also look for “responsive” themes because it means they will look great on any mobile device.
Just enter it as one of your keywords and you’ll go all out!
3. Installing your new theme
Once you find a theme you like the most, installing it is as simple as clicking “Install” followed by clicking “Activate”.
Remember: Changing a theme does not delete previous posts, pages and content. You can change a theme at any time as you need it without worrying about losing the contents you’ve created.
How to add content and create a new page?
Once the theme is installed, you are ready to start creating content. Let’s have a quick look at some of the basics:
Add and edit pages
Want a “services” page, or a “products “page, or a “about” page (like we do have at the bottom of the site)?
1. Look for “Pages” -> “Add New” in the sidebar of the WordPress dashboard.
2. You will find a screen that looks a lot like what you see in Microsoft Word. Add text, images, etc. to build the page you want and then save it when you’re done.
Add pages to menu
If you want to link a new page to the navigation bar,
1. Click “Update” to save any changes you’ve made to the page.
2. Click on “Appearance” -> “Menu” in the sidebar of the WordPress dashboard
3. Find the page you created, then click the check box next to it and then click “Add to Menu” to add it to the menu items list.
Add and edit posts
If you have decided to run a blog on your website, the “post” will go to the next one. You have an option to use different categories to group similar posts.
If you added a blog to your website, you can use different categories and posts. Suppose you want to create a category called “Technology”. Just add it to your menu and start posting.
This is what you need to do:
1. Go to “Post -> Categories” to create a new category
2. Create a blog post by going to “posts -> add new”. Once you’ve finished writing your blog post, you’ll need to add the correct category to it.
Once you’ve created a category, just add it to the menu and you’re always ready to go!
Customization and endless adjustments
In this section, you’ll be covered with some basic issues that can help you tweak and adjust your website.
Change the Title and Tagline
The page title explains the content of your website to the searcher. They are also an important part of how search engines determine your website ranking. You want to make sure they have the keywords you want to target, but written in a natural way, for real people.
You should use a unique title on each page of your website. For example, the title of my website is “TechGlamour”
(Can’t find it? Just hover over the tab at the top of your web browser to find it).
The Tagline is added at the end of the title of each page. The slogan on my website is “Inspired by the Glamorous Technology”
To change the title and tagline of your website, simply go to Settings -> General and fill out the form below:
Disable comments on posts and pages
Some websites (mainly commercial/organisational websites) do not want their visitors to be able to comment on their web-pages.
Here’s how to turn off WordPress comments on posts and pages:
1. When writing a new post or page, click on “Screen Options” in the top right corner.
2. Click on the “Discussion” box. The “Allow comments” box will appear at the bottom.
3. Uncheck “Allow comments.”
Do you want to disable comments on each new post or page by default?
1. Go to “Settings -> Discussion” and just uncheck “Allow people to post comments on new articles”.
Setting up a static front page (homepage)
Some people don’t like their home page look like a blog post. If you too don’t like that, you can solve this problem by making your home page “static”.
A static page is a page that will not be changed. Unlike blogs, the first new article is displayed at the top every time, and every time someone visits a website, but the “static” page displays the same content – just like the home page you designed.
To set a static home page:
1. Go to “Settings -> Reading”
2. Select the static page you’ve created. “Front Page” means your home page. The “Posts Page” is the home page of your blog (if your entire site is not a blog).
If you don’t choose a static page yourself, WordPress will collect your latest posts and start showing them on your homepage.
How to Edit sidebar
Most WordPress themes have a sidebar on the right (in some cases, it’s on the left side).
If you want to change the sidebar or edit items you don’t need in your sidebar, such as “category”, “meta” and “archive” links, which usually doesn’t make sense, here’s how to do that:
1. Go to “Appearance -> Widgets” section in your Admin dashboard.
2. Here you can use drag and drop to add different “boxes” to the sidebar or delete unwanted items.
There is also an “HTML box” – a text box that can be used HTML code. Beginners can simply drag and drop the elements they want into the sidebar.
Install plugins to get more from WordPress platform
What is a plugin?
“Plugins” are extensions built to power-up, or simply extend WordPress functionality, adding capabilities and features to your website that are not built-in default.
They are shortcuts to getting your website to do what you want it to do, without having to build a feature or functionality from scratch.
You can use a plugin to do everything from adding image slider, to photo galleries and contact forms to optimizing your website SEO and creating an online eCommerce store.
How to install a new plugin?
To start installing a plugin, just go to “Plugins -> Add New” and simply start searching for the one you need.
You’ll be amazed to know that there are thousands of different free plugins, so you have a lot to options to choose from!
Installation a plugin is simple – once you find a plugin you like, just click on “Install”.
1. Contact Form 7: This is a must have WordPress plugin for contact pages. This plugin can have multiple forms & can be configured for multiple receivers.
2. WordPress SEO by Yoast: Is the original WordPress SEO plugin since 2008. It is the favourite tool of millions of users, that helps them reach for the stars.
3. Google Analytics: It allows you to track your website/ blog visitors easily and always stays up to date with the newest features in analytics and tracking.
4. Jetpack: This is a Free WordPress plugin which will bring lots of features to your WordPress powered website/ blog, from stats, social, and more!
5. Akismet: This is the most powerful anti-spam plugin for WordPress. It just filters out spam, so you can focus on doing more important things.
Congratulations – you are ready to go!
If you followed the steps in this guide, you should now have a full-featured responsive WordPress website. Cheers!
Now, you should focus on content of your website, and finish the basic customisation to improve constantly!
You should bookmark this page, as an handy guide to make a website using WordPress (the easy way!).
And, to get opportunity to learn how to start a blog, or create an online store, and find:
- Most useful WordPress Tools to add more powerful features to your site,
- Find the best WordPress Themes to freely customise style and look,
- Most useful Free WordPress Plugins to add more functionality,
- Learn how to use WordPress, and start blogging, like a pro!
If you have not created your website yet, then you must go to Bluehost and follow the quick steps to make a website (the easy way!).